||Le Havre, France |
Note: This caption refers to the image versions labeled "NASA's Earth Observatory web site".
The port city of Le Havre, France is located at the confluence of the Seine River and the English Channel along the northern coastline of the country (Upper Normandy region). Le Havre is the largest container port in France, and the second largest in terms of total traffic after Marseille. The extensive port facilities, visible at image center, include numerous docks (large cargo ships are clearly visible in this detailed astronaut photograph), storage tanks for petro- and other chemicals, and large industrial and warehouse facilities with white rooftops. The port also serves seagoing pleasure cruise vessels. The southern edge of the port facility along the Seine includes a seawall-enclosed ship turning area (image lower center).
The Montgeon Forest, visible as a large green region at image upper center, includes 200 hectares of woodland and 30 hectares of meadows and lawns. The urban area of Le Havre, to the north of the port facilities, was largely destroyed during World War II. After the war, the city was rebuilt following the vision of architect Auguste Perret. Perret favored the use of reinforced and precast concrete in building structures, and much of the city built between 1945 and 1964 follows his plan in both form and materials - leading to the designation of Le Havre as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005.